Join Karen Macklin (karenmacklin.com) and Laurie Sleep (laurieyoga.com) for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that combines international travel, creating connections with the local community, and six delicious days at a five-star yoga retreat center.
Our trip begins in the historical, picturesque city of Antigua, where we’ll spend two days sightseeing and working with Common Hope, a nonprofit organization that assists in improving living conditions and education for the underserved in Guatemala. We’ll meet local residents and offer our time to a meaningful community volunteer project. We’ll also practice yoga and meditation daily, enjoy local restaurants and nightlife, and engage in cultural activities. Next, we’ll head to Villa Sumaya, a first-class yoga retreat center that sits on Lake Atitlan, known for its jaw-dropping vista of mountains and volcanoes. At Villa Sumaya, we’ll delve more deeply into our yoga practices, eat delicious local food, and take part in activities on and around the lake.
The retreat includes:
- Two yoga classes per day, with teachings based on the principles of compassionate view and compassionate action;
- A meaningful day-long volunteer project with locals in Antigua through Common Hope;
- Cultural activities, including (but not limited to) a walking tour of Antigua, local craft shopping, and a visit to Casa de Santo Domingo museum and crypt;
- A special protection ceremony with a local shaman on Lake Atitlan;
- Optional activities at the lake, which may include guided hikes and kayaking, depending on the group’s interest; and
- Opportunities to receive massage, spa services, acupuncture, and other healing/relaxation modalities offered by the Villa Sumaya spa.
There is also a Lake-Atitlan only option from April 6-12.